Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TWD: Baking with Julia - Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies

I kind of can't believe that I actually got this recipe put together and baked cookies with a two week old screaming boy in the house!  Well, I guess that's probably because he is not always screaming and Mikey is still home helping with everything imaginable.  The Tuesday with Dorie recipe for this week is Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies and you can check out the recipe if you want at the hosts blog Galettista.  The cookies were really easy to whip up and if you like coffee and chocolate than these are probably cookies you would love.  

The recipe was a lot like a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but it called for instant coffee, a pound of chocolate and then half a pound of dried apricots.  I used instant espresso  for the coffee and cherries instead of the apricots and I think they turned out pretty good.  They are pretty flat, but they still taste like chocolate!  I read that some people had thought they turned out a bit flat, so I froze the dough in spoonfuls to see if maybe they could keep some volume.  They looked alright when I took them out of the oven, but two minutes later they were as flat as could be, which is how most cookies turn out in Colorado!  

The dry ingredients  

Sugar and butter

Frozen spoonfuls


Right out of the oven 

Flat cookies after cooling

3 comments:

  1. love the idea of using cherries . . . next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used cherries too. Love the combo of chocolate and cherry. I really enjoyed these cookies. And it was nice to have a simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how the cookies flatten once cooled. I split the dough and added apricots to one half and cherry to the other. The apricot won out!

    ReplyDelete