Tuesday, March 4, 2014

TWD: Buttermilk Scones

Finally we have a computer up and running again so I get to participate in this weeks recipe!  And scones are one of my favorite things so it is a double bonus!  You can check out all the groups finished products at Tuesdays with Dorie.

This recipe was simple enough to mix up that Noah slept the whole time I made them, ate them, and wrote this blog!  It started with a basic mixture of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Then you cut butter into the mixture, and added buttermilk and lemon or orange zest.  I picked orange because orange plus scones equals yum!  The recipe had two methods for baking them, you could cut triangles and coat them with butter and sugar on top, or you could roll out the dough coat with butter, sugar, and chopped dried fruit or just use jam, and then roll them  up and slice them.  I went with the chopped dried fruit, which was cherries!

I think these turned out great.  I think the layer of butter, sugar and fruit made them extra delicious and I ate two in about twelve seconds, dang those hot pastries.


mmm butter
orange zest

topped with butter, sugar and cherries

the finished product!

7 comments:

  1. They look great and orange zest does give great flavor to baked goodies. I ate two at a go and felt really sick...they are quite heavy! But so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rolled scones look perfect!!!
    Indeed, this recipe was quite easy and gave lovely scones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this. The addition of dried cherries would be fantastic with the zest! Great choice. I will have to do that as well next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your rolled scones, I stuck with the wedge shape but now am tempted to make them in the rolled shape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great additions! So nice to have a recipe that can be made start to finish during nap time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking rolled scone! I totally want to make these again now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a quick and easy recipe! I too used dried cherries, in the standard triangular shape. They were tasty... I ate three... one after the other... so not good.

    ReplyDelete